Tuesday 31 March 2015

6 Weeks Post Op following Set Back

6 weeks ago today I had a double mastectomy and reconstruction.

1 week ago today I had one of the implants removed due to a big infection and seroma.

So far, although I didn't plan to be breast less I can quite honestly say that I feel alot more comfortable than I have since I had the initial operation.

This time last week I couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel, moving was painful and I assumed a hunched posture as normal.

Today I had my check up with the surgeon.

She decided not to remove the stitches, to allow a couple more days for it to heal some more. They are the old fashioned type which are not very pretty but they allow for any fluid to leak out.

There was some fluid under the wound so she asperated that. The fluid didn't look ikky and came away quite freely.

The remaining implant was redressed and she took a swab from one of the scabs which is lifting and explained that I am not out of the woods yet, she is still holding her breath for that side because the infection was so close to this that the implants were touching.

I think its ok at the moment because my first big lumpectomy scar is now less pink and is a bit baggy. Nobody else would notice that fact but I can because its my scar.

I was put on another course of antibiotics.

The infection has left fragile skin which is why there is a hole. It will be 12 months before I can consider reconstruction on this side because the tissue has to repair. At that point they will check on the elasticity of it and decide whether or not to chance another implant OR I have tissue from my stomach used for reconstruction.

At the moment I am concentrating on the fact that I am cancer free and I have reduced my risks - that is the biggest bonus of all.... well that and the fact that I am still alive!

The last 6 weeks have been hell and to be honest with you I am looking forward to returning to normal and if that means that I have to wear a prosthesis for a year then so be it.

1 comment:

  1. You're a bloody marvel, Sara.
    Hoping you start to feel better very soon.
    xx

    ReplyDelete

If you are kind enough to read my post please leave a comment they make my day!