Tuesday 17 January 2012

Wilburs Progress

Its almost two weeks since I took Wilbur to the vets with his injury and during that time I had to take him back to the vets on an emergency appointment and he has had two further relapses which have been distressing to witness. Both relapses have happened after he has "over done" things. I sadly put him on crate rest only coming out to toilet or have a potter around the garden with me and sitting on the sofa with me during the evening. This seems to have done the trick, he is alot happier in himself and just now I felt his spine and stomach and they are not tense. They have been like bricks previously. He is still taking his anti-inflammatory once a day and I only gave him one pain killer this afternoon because he was trembling after he had been outside for a session in the garden.

He is now settled by me on the sofa, quite relaxed and quite happy although I know that we are not out of the woods yet, this injury will take weeks to heal.

I have decided to use his crate rest as a way to re-educate him. When we go for walks he goes completely nuts. He jumps, pants, whines, cries - the whole kit kaboodle! I have tried every trick in the book to try and calm him down but nothing works.

I am using his crate time now to show him his headcollar. Once he can look and sniff at his headcollar without showing signs of excitement I will start to put it on him, walk away, wait until he is settled then take it off. I will carry on doing this until he stops showing a reaction, at this point I will introduce the lead into the equation and repeat.

When he is at the stage when he is ready to come out of the crate on his lead he will be allowed to do so but any signs of excitement and he is returned to the crate.

I know that this is going to take a long time to do but his rehabilitation is something which can't be rushed either.


Wilbur is a lovely dog, mad as a hatter but the most loving friend anyone could wish too. I have been so worried about him, dreading the fact that he might have to have operations or worse. Lets hope he is on the road to recovery even if it is going to be a long one!

1 comment:

If you are kind enough to read my post please leave a comment they make my day!