Thursday 26 July 2012

My Life is a Road of Music

Music has always been a part of my life from the age dot! My first memory is the old piano my mum had. What a beautiful piece of furniture it was too..... Walnut with patterns, real ivory and ebony keys - I loved to sit and play on that but was always wary of the lid shutting on little fingers!

I liked it when the man came to tune the piano and I could look inside. I don't think he was interested in little children, I think I used to get in the way.

My last memory of that beautiful piece of furniture was sacrilage! My mum chopped it up - don't know why but she did. So sad.

I always remember Andy Williams on the radio and I hated it, still do now.... Great tune, nice voice BUT I always associate that music and his voice with rainy days when I was confined to the house, colouring in stupid pictures while mum did housework.


My friends and I grew up in the 70's and early 80's the days of Fame, Saturday Night Fever and Grease. We decided to have our own little dance routine to Needles and Pins. We would rehearse in my garage away from the teasing of the boys. The vinyl single would be put on the old fashioned player and off we would go on our routine.

The Funky Gibbon by the Goodies was one of the first singles I ever bought. My brothers and I clubbed our pocket money together to buy it. Boy that record got played and played and we knew all of the actions! It still makes me smile to think about it.

Depeche Mode were always my favourite band to dance to at the DISCO!!! I loved their albums which were forever on my turn table.

Ooh early 80's Depeche Mode were the first band I ever saw live, I think it was in Manchester Apollo....

To be continued.................

1 comment:

  1. I'm sitting here with my mouth gaping open that your mother would chop up a piano!!!! I grew up with a piano in the house too and it brings back memories...it's lovely isn't it when you think about music and how it made you feel at the time you first heard it or it was part of your life.

    ReplyDelete

If you are kind enough to read my post please leave a comment they make my day!