Tuesday, 18 September 2012
Good News on Health
I have had a number of health worries; aches, thirst, gums not healing, lethargy, finger swelling etc. My doctor ordered a full and comprehensive set of blood tests.
Well.... with the way I feel right now and the bug I had a couple of weeks ago I thought I was going to be told some grim news.
So with reluctance I saw my doctor this morning and do you know what?? Clean bill of health. No signs of any types of arthritus, my white and red blood cells are fine, no to diabetes, my kidney function is good and so is my liver. Relieved is not the word! So I can officially put down all of my "health issues" to side effects of the anti cancer drugs I am taking. Relieved, happy and thankful is how I feel right now.
Now the only two things I have in my life to really be worried about are (in order) my dog Wilbur and his infections.
I have googled it but can't find anything on the subject. The infection he has now is a different one to the first and its coming out rather than just in.
Twice he has been put on antibiotics and twice its cleared up only to come back worse than before so the stage we are at now is waiting and observing. They tried to aspirate the lump but nothing came out this time so it could be an infection which his body is fighting but its a wait and see situation.
The lump is the size of the top of a tennis ball and when you place your fingers around it and apply pressure it goes deeper, very deep. He is not in pain, he has no temperature, apart from the lump he is fine and happy.
The vet has suggested removing the tissue but because it is a deep routed infection there is no guarantee that they can get it all away and they will have to take away muscle as well as tissue.
So... I am a realist when it comes to my animals. I love them with my entire soul but I don't think I could subject my lovely boy to this sort of surgery especially with an unknown prognosis and the fact that this is an extremely rare situation.
I think I am going to return to the vet this week and ask if they can put him on a max dose of antibiotics for as long as possible to try and kill the infection this way. If this doesn't work then I am afraid all other doors are not an option for me.
The second worry I have is about the insurance company I am with, Animal Friends. They are refusing to pay for Wilburs first treatment on a technicality and so I have had to scrape together the funds to pay for this which not being in work and still recovering from a second cancer is extremely hard as you can imagine.
Today I posted a letter to the financial ombudsman with a prayer in the desperate hope that he rules in my favour or at least asks for a compromise.
Life is not easy.
Its full of stumbling points and pit falls and along with those comes the tears.
However, its easy to stay on the floor and give up the only answer is, to pick yourself up, dust yourself down and continue the journey.
I am sure that at the journeys end it will all be worth it.